Self Care for Mind, Body, and Soul for Single Moms

Ok mamas, let us chat about ourselves today! The topic of self care is pretty popular right now, and I am sure you have been made aware of how hugely important is us.

Practicing self care is not selfish, but necessary for everyone, but most especially for us single moms. Let’s dive into why and I will share my favorite ways that you can take care of yourself.

So Why is Self Care So Important

Well, if you let yourself “go” so to speak, you have less of your best self to give not only to your children, but to yourself. If you feel lousy, look like a hot mess, feel lazy, and tired, then that is the you that your kids get and the you that you have to live with as well.

So it is very important to always put your best self out there. If your kids see you caring, then they will learn how to care too! It’s a fairly simple concept, and even if you’re short on time and energy, as we so regularly are, you can always find little ways to practice self care.  Trust me, it’s possible!

Little things such as making time for a hot shower, eating healthier meals, or catching a movie with a girlfriend are all ways to take care of yourself. Every mama needs some time to just relax and do something just for herself.  You spend so much time and energy making sure all of your children’s needs are met, losing out on sleep, and do you even know when was the last time you did something like get your hair done? You sometimes need to pause and take care of you!

Alone Time

Never underestimate the power of what a little time to yourself can do at the end of the day.

Something to remember, is that even just being alone is an essential part of self care. I personally need to be alone each night before bed or else my anxiety goes bonkers. So every night I enjoy a cup of hot tea, curl up in my chair and watch some mindless t.v in the pure bliss of solitude. I highly recommend this as a daily practice for every mom!

Enjoy some amount of peace, quiet, and time to be alone before you call it a night. It’s a way to refresh, recharge and just zone out for a while if nothing else.  Or you could always use your alone time for a stress relieving bath, catching up on a good book, or baking cookies that you won’t have to share! ;)

However you chose to spend your daily alone time, don’t waste it. Appreciate it and enjoy every peaceful moment, because it won’t be long until those little voices and stampeding feet interrupt your tranquil thoughts.

More Easy Forms Of Self Care

Are you ready to get into some more ideas and ways you can indulge in some much needed self care? Here we go!

Self Mani-Pedi

This is a very easy way to do something nice to help yourself feel and look better. Whenever you have a few minutes to sit down ( it’s rare, but it does happen!) take that time to grab a bottle of nail polish and give yourself a little manicure and pedicare! Freshen yourself up a little with some color on your nails and enjoy feeling a little more “put together.”

Face Mask Friday

A fun way to take part in some self care is putting on a mask and giving your skin a little TLC! Most face masks only take 5-15 minutes so it’s a quick way to do a little something to give yourself a fresh glow!

You can do this any day of the week, but it’s fun to take selfies of you looking rather silly in your post and participating in Instagram’s #facemaskfriday.

Workout/Exercise

You saw this one coming, didn’t you? I know, I know, who actually wants to workout? I know I don’t! But, it is important for not only your health, but your mind as well. Getting at least 15 minutes of exercise is proven to be very beneficial to mental health, better quality of sleep and heart health of course!  

Don’t worry, you don’t need to spend money on a  gym membership, invest in expensive workout equipment  or even sign up for some type of super involved program. I have found that the easiest and most convenient and not to mention FREE way to get a good workout in when I have the time, is YouTube.  I love the Pop Sugar Fitness Channel! They have the perfect blend of intense and super low key workouts!

Eating Habits

I know it’s hard to eat healthy when you are busy, broke and way too stressed out to cook. I get it. But, I probably don’t need to remind you of the importance of eating healthy meals as often as you can.

Your body will function better on nutrition than a pb&j sandwich or your kids leftover Happy Meal. Even on the longest days, finding the time to whip up a simple salad, smoothie or put some veggies and broth in a crock pot can be done if really want to.

Us mamas have to stay full of energy and keep up with our kiddos, and making sure our bodies are well nourished is a great way to do that.  If you head over to my personal blog, you will find some quick and easy recipes that both you and the kids will love!

Girls Night

Getting together with friends or even one friend every so often is really healthy and important. Escaping the kids for a few hours, putting on real clothes, doing our hair and makeup, and getting out on the town with the girls is something we all need to do every now and then.

I can’t stress the importance enough of having the opportunity to talk, laugh and enjoy time with friends. Hit the spa, movies, club, mall, or whatever you’re in the mood for. Just get out there and have yourself a fabulous girls night!

Start Taking Care of You..Too!

I hope these ideas have encouraged you to want to take better care of yourself.  

Do your best to find the time to do something nice for yourself once in a while. Even just buying yourself a new outfit or smiling at the attractive barista at Starbucks can be a form of self care!

Don’t forget about yourself while you work hard taking care of your kids. They are the most important thing in your life, but you’re pretty important too!

Love and silly faces wearing a face mask, JessXO

Jesse Murphy

I'm Jesse Murphy, a single mom, and blogger from the California foothills. My main purpose in life to be the best single mom I can be for my son, and to provide support, tips, advice, and fun to all my fellow single parents. Raising kids on your own is never easy, and I know firsthand the struggles we single parents face. Find inspiration, tips and ideas for your co-parenting journey in the Bonfami Community and be sure to subscribe to my personal blog! www.neveralonemom.com.

about bonfami

At Bonfami, you’ll find an empowering community filled with single moms like you - strong women who care deeply about their children’s future and wellbeing.

connect with us!

Copyright © 2020 Bonfami. All rights reserved.