Sapphire's Super Mom Story: Part III

As time went on, I slowly began to heal.

I knew that I had to be strong, and keep it together for my girls and for my son.

My husband was estranged because he felt that it was all or nothing, and didn’t want me as just the mother of his children. So there was no relationship, support, or communication there.

Despite finding freedom, my son’s father found me. And that’s when I had to grapple with the thought of him parenting my child. Would this work?

I decided to seek help.

I started going to therapy, and learned the important skills and tap into essential resources necessary to support my mental, physical, and spiritual health and well-being. I found ways to speak up for myself and my children.

My son’s father and I went to court, and sought education that would help us both become better parents. We attended parenting classes together, sought legal advice, and took steps to ensure our son would be healthy and happy in both homes.

After the abuse that had occured, it took me time to rebuild any trust I had once had in him. Today though, with a support system in place - he and his son have a beautiful relationship.

After so much hard work - we are finally able to co-parent together to raise our son. I am so thankful that my son is able to have two healthy parents that love him to the moon and beyond.

My oldest daughter is currently in Ireland, studying her Juris Doctorate. My youngest girl is studying Early Childhood Education and my son is excelling in his dual language charter school.

The struggle continues to be real, but I believe that once you trust the process, then you can come out of the fire, without smelling like smoke.

My situation was never about me, but it concerned me. Not every time you want to be that strong, resilient pillar. There are times when I want to just let go...but God! My faith has given me new eyes, ears - AND even a new walk and purpose.

My prayer for you all reading this, is that you realize that you are also overcomers. We are called to the battlefield of life, and it requires so much, but this is why co-parenting is important. We were never designed to raise children by ourselves. This is why it takes a village.

I thank you for allowing me to share my story, and hope that you can overcome whatever trials and tribulations that may come your way...if not for you, for your child(ren).

Summary of Parts I and II: In part one of this blog series, Sapphire talks about meeting her son’s father, and in part two she talks about learning the importance of seeking help.

Sapphire Kharyzma

Sapphire Kharyzma is a travel, beauty, and lifestyle writer; as well as a photographer, designer, and digital marketing professional. She harnesses the power of travel, beauty, and style to empower multicultural women.

about bonfami

At Bonfami, you’ll find an empowering community filled with single moms like you - strong women who care deeply about their children’s future and wellbeing.

connect with us!

Copyright © 2020 Bonfami. All rights reserved.